Wednesday 10 May 2017

I found it..




I agree with writer Newton in some of what he writes… and sometimes I disagree and refuse what he says regarding assessing historical eras and political orientations… however, we are on good terms with each other no matter what the disagreement is… when I read his article last Monday morning about true justice, I stopped before his advice for those who look for employees for posts they have… especially the paragraph asking not to ask the applicant about his age as “this may affect the selection process… especially if the applicant was old in age… in such case, we would have been practicing a serious kind of discrimination against the old… since old people are just like the young ones; they are still alive”.

It is self-evident why I stopped before this paragraph… because I am over 70 years old… and in many times – and despite my western-style elegance; meaning the complete suit with the tie – I am being addressed by “Haj”… or even “welcome, grandpa”… and sometimes, some volunteer to help me go up the stairs or get off a car thinking they are doing me good… I cannot hide that I do not like this Haj title although I did the religious duty of Hajj and two Umrahs also… I also do not like to be called “engineer” as it is almost the case in Egypt when you address a man you do not know.

In such regard, I cannot lie… I admit that sometimes I try to make use of this age thing… and I tend to put the stick – of which I have different shapes that I brought from different places or received some of them as gifts – I lean on next to me… I also pick certain ones when going on certain errands, especially errands to government institutions and congested public places since the appearance of an old man leaning on a stick may give some kind of priority… in some other cases, I apologize saying “excuse me… as you can see… I am an old man” if I am in the middle of an empty of meaning argument where no discussion or logic does any good at all.

As to the big problem that old people face is when they are right and got subjected to an injustice or aggression from someone… in this case, you try by all reasonable ways to stand against such injustice… with proper logic sometimes… with making pleas some other times… with silence some third times… until you lose your temper… at that moment, the aggressor yells at your face with that known replies: “go away… you are an old man”… “I won’t reply to you because you are an old man”…”I swear I would have showed you what you deserve except that you are an old man”… “Go away and stop this gibberish of old men”… at this moment, man feels adrenaline flooding in his blood and wishes if he can grab the neck of that one saying such words with his own hands… to let him know that being old in age does not mean having no dignity to defend oneself and does not kill man’s ability to resist.

My old friend Kamel Zoheiri used to severely mock this thing called “conflicts of generations”… as there was a trend in the eighties that appeared among those who were at their forties at that time and were before leaders of students’ movements and secret political groups and members of the organization of youth… they used to mock old men who became experienced in all leading positions… whether political, economic, media or cultural… meaning leading positions at large… it also happened at that time that capital investment corporations or capital employing companies; those that played a negative role in the Egyptian economy and were the reason behind many dying out of anguish and others paralyzed for losing their money, rose… and so Kamel Zoheiri coined the term “employing generations” like that term of employing money.

I remember a hot debate that took place between Mr. Kamel and late dear friend Ahmed Abdallah Rozza who was one of those defending this theory of generations to the extent that he called the centre he established in Ain Es-Sira “Al-Geel centre” or the centre of generations… once Dr. Rozza was fully convinced of an idea, he used to enthusiastically and fervently defend it that his veins stand out on his neck and blood goes flooding to his already blond face… while late Mr. Zoheiri used to discuss calmly and did not miss the chance to mitigate the heated discussion with a joke or even signs from his big bulky hands.

In that discussion, Kamel Zoheiri focused on explaining the relation between age and human capabilities, especially the mental and emotional ones… and that youth is not only an age group but a feeling that inhabits man’s conscience and mind even if he is an old man exceeding 60 or 70 as per the birth certificate.

Back to Newton, who can clearly express his idea once it is complete in his mind in the fewest number of words… and sometimes he can also convince anyone who reads his lines… however, that does not mean that he does not go wild from time to time when it has to do with the wealth.

Translated into English by: Dalia Elnaggar


This article was published in Almasry alyoum newspaper on May 10, 2017.

To see the original article, go to:


#almasry_alyoum #ahmed_elgammal #generations_conflict #age

No comments:

Post a Comment