Wednesday 20 February 2019

From Sovaldi… to constitution





On Facebook, some ladies and gentlemen who follow what is written here and which I post on my Facebook page publish replies, comments and opinions that agree, disagree, criticize and sometimes attack and mock what I write. I admit that sometimes I block those who exceed their limits, especially if they breached ethics of discussion with another person who expressed his or her opinion or added a comment. I rarely publish those comments I receive on my Facebook page here. However, I beg your pardon to publish some of what I received in general or that relates to the article that was published last week titled “The constitution”.

I saw along with others a post, that I believe is important in our present circumstances, from Dr. Hani Shoeib; professor and consultant of Psychiatry in the United Kingdom “Britain”. I will not talk more about it as it is self-explanatory and needs no commenting or introduction.

Here is the text: “My friend is a consultant physician who served in the National Health System NHS for more than 40 years. He recently retired and we met in a family evening. He told me about his story and the painful journey he has been through. He said: “In 2001, I discovered I have Hepatitis C. Physicians advised that my case does not require treatment and recommended that I just follow up. I used not to feel any symptoms and my life was normal as usual, as I used to do my job as a physician with the same efficiency…

“… In the last liver function test, it turned out that my case became close to being a critical one, yet there were no symptoms that I was suffering from liver failure. I sought the opinion of a consultant in the Institute of Hepatology, King’s College in London. He said that my case may benefit from the active treatment of Sovaldi medication; however, he did not believe that my case may be eligible to be given the medication for free as per the applied rules of the NHS protocol.”

The consultant went on explaining that the treatment course of Sovaldi medication costs the NHS 83000 sterling per patient. Therefore, the treatment is limited to only 10% of Hepatitis C patients whose cases are getting worse to the limit of starting to have a liver failure. Only those are eligible to receive free treatment…

The sick Egyptian physician replied to the British consultant: “I cannot believe what you are saying. I am a British citizen and I pay my taxes fully. I spent 40 years of my professional life working as a physician in the NHS. After all this, I do not have the right to be treated from a serious illness and I have to wait until my case deteriorates to liver failure… I will write about this scandal to the British newspapers”.

The consultant went into silence then said “Please, wait and let me deliver your message to the ones in charge”. Two weeks later, the sick doctor received a notification to start receiving treatment using Sovaldi medication. I went through laboratory examinations for a few months and treatment lasted for one year. Afterwards, examination showed that I was cured of Hepatitis C…”

That was in 2018. The eyes of the physician and all those attending the family evening watered in tears as the Egyptian doctor, and holder of the British nationality, added that he paid a visit to his folks in as-Senbelaween town and knew that some of them were treated using Sovaldi and were cured of their illness, and that medication was given to them free of charge…

The man then wondered: Have my folks in Egypt and all Egyptians realized the meaning of what happened to them? Do they know that the treatment in Britain costs 83,000 sterling per person and that Egypt provided such treatment for about two million citizens for free; meaning that Egypt paid four thousand billion Egyptian pounds as per the value of the sterling pound in Egyptian currency”.

Dr. Hani Sho’aib finished his comment saying that his friend continued: “In my journey back from Egypt to Britain, I looked through the plane window… Cairo was enveloped in water vapor mixed with dirt and sand… the Nile seemed like a silver bracelet… and the Pyramids looked high and proud. My eyes went in tears, my body trembled and my heart whispered: Long live, Egypt”. The comment ended and I have nothing to add as there is no way to go into a discussion with those denying seeing the apparent sun light.

Regarding that article titled “the Constitution” published here last week, I received 19 comments, the most important of them –from the point of view of adding something new or producing a different opinion- were three comments. Of those gentlemen were my colleague Mr. Nasr el-Qaffas, the prestigious creative director Mr. Muhammed Fadel and the philosopher and physician Dr. Charles Megalli; professor of cardiology…

My colleague Mr. Nasr al-Qaffas wrote: “Oh, sir… although I enjoy being patient, silent and feeling bored, but you are pushing me to break my silence… I want to tell you that what you talked about and what we are currently experiencing is not new… you may remember that al-Wafd party and Sa’ad Zaghloul were against the 1932 constitution and Sa’ad Pasha named the committee that worked on drafting the articles of such constitution “the committee of devils”… It even happened that he described them as donkey saddles working for the British. Then his party won the elections and he ruled as per this constitution. Later came Muhammed Mahmoud who participated in drafting the constitution and suspended it just because he became the prime minister. Afterwards, an-Nahhas and Muhammed Mahmoud collaborated against the 1930 constitution and fought to bring the 1923 constitution back. Under such constitution, an-Nahhas accepted to be the prime minister after the British occupation flouted the constitution, the dignity of our country and the king when they invaded the King’s palace with tanks on the 4th of February, 1942 and it was also during that time when this constitution was in power when they used to mess with the parliament and cabinets…”

“… The most important thing for those claiming to be guardians of the constitution was to come to power and enjoy wealth and authority, all this under the name of the constitution. If the current president followed such way, they would have gathered around him defending the importance and necessity of amending the constitution… kindly, accept my appreciation for your writings, audacity and enlightened thinking”.

That was what my dear colleague Mr. Nasr al-Qaffas wrote. Actually, I do believe, like we say in our slang language, that “he put his hand on the point missing”. I do thank him for this. As to the rest of comments, I will publish them in the coming articles, hoping that such thing may start a logical discussion around the issue of amending the constitution.

Translated into English by Dalia Elnaggar



This article was published in Al Ahram newspaper on February 20, 2019.

To see the original article, go to:

#Ahmed_ahmad_elgammal #Egypt #constitution #Sovaldi #Hepatitis_C

No comments:

Post a Comment